Police Reserves Accepting New Applications
Download the Reserve Application (PDF)
The Big Lake Police Reserve Unit is again seeking volunteers and is accepting new applications for membership.
The primary function of the Police Reserve Unit is to aid the established Police during emergencies, in the protection of life and property, the preservation of the public peace and order, the prevention and detection of crime, and the enforcement of the laws of the State of Minnesota and the City of Big Lake. During periods of emergency, Reserve Police Officers may be endowed with legal authority as directed by the Chief of Police.
Applicants need to meet the following minimum requirements:
- Eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- United States citizen.
- Possess a valid Minnesota driver's license.
- Good physical condition.
- Not have been convicted of, or forfeited bail for, any gross misdemeanor or felony crimes.
- Reside within one half hour (1/2) of the City of Big Lake Police Department.
Post Application Requirements
- Must pass oral examinations required and in effect at the time of application including background check.
- Possess a valid First Responder Certificate, or higher skill level of training or obtain such during the probationary period.
- Submit to fingerprinting and identification photo if requested.
- Sign affidavits required of all Regular and Reserve Officers of the City of Big Lake.
Post Probationary Period
After a probationary period, new Reserve Officers will be expected to assist sworn officers a minimum of ten (10) hours per month on calls and requests for police service from the citizens in regard to, but not limited to the following:
- Natural and unnatural disasters and phenomenon.
- Accidents of all kinds, including traffic, home, public, industrial, and firearms.
- Medical emergencies.
- Traffic and crowd control.
- Handle motorist and pedestrian assists.
- City park patrol.
- Write reports.
- Give non-confidential information upon request.
- Counsel and advise citizens when required.
- Search for lost persons.
- Assist in security crime scenes.
If you are interested in becoming a member of this Reserve Unit, and have a desire to serve your community, please contact Investigator Rich Berg at 763-263-2500 during normal business hours for further information.